Support This Site

Buy some of my custom "prog" T-Shirts here! Just click on my cafepress banner above.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Shocking!! Neil Peart second worst Lyricist!?!

Shocking!! Neil Peart second worst Lyricist!?! As voted by Blender magazine. Any thoughts on this. Poor guy, I wonder what he must be thinking now. Here is a link to the article. http://www.blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?ID=2885

My thoughts on the subject are mixed. Growing up, Neil was my idol in many ways. I have even read many Ayn Rand novels due to his influence. Just today, I saw the 1949 movie, The Fountainhead, and I admit, it is some very strong material.

Today however, I feel Ayn Rands philosophy is way too black and white, and Rush's lyrics seem a bit stale. In many of the songs, I think he tries too hard.
I have read some of his books, and they are very thoughtful, but overall, there writing is still a little dry.

I can really relate to his love of Motorcycles and travel as these are some of my greatest loves.

Overall however, there is really nobody out there who writes the way Neil does, so I am thankful he made it in the music business.

No comments: